Vitamin E in skincare is commonly used as an ingredient in a wide range of skincare products due to its proven ‘antioxidant properties’.
So what does this mean?
- Antioxidants are beneficial because they can fight against ‘free radicals’
- Free radicals are unstable molecules which can come from UVA/UVB rays, pollutants and infrared radiation. They can damage the skin cells (including DNA as well as outer layer of skin) by stealing electrons
- Antioxidants essentially neutralize free radicals by donating electrons – or stop them from forming in the first place
- When there are too many ‘free radicals’ vs the antioxidants available, ‘oxidative stress’ occurs in the skin. This can lead to premature aging, inflammations, hyperpigmentation and even skin cancer
What is Vitamin E?
Vitamin E is just one of a number of antioxidant ingredients used in skincare. It is a popular one as it has proven effectiveness in helping the skin from premature ageing. It can be found even in relatively inexpensive high street products as it is quite a ‘cheap’ ingredient to add in low quantities.
Studies have also suggested that vitamin E can reduce UV-induced photodamage, reduce the risk of sunburn and even decrease the risk of skin cancers.
So vitamin E is potentially a very powerful and attractive ingredient in skincare, but it is not the only one. There is also lots of evidence in favour of vitamin C and some products combine the two.
Cosmeceutical Skincare Products
As specialist products, they can be effective in improving skin conditions such as acne or rosacea, as well as the signs of ageing with lines, wrinkles and pigmentation.
Staff at Cosmedics Beauty are fully trained in the products and can recommend suitable skincare regimes based on each patient’s individual needs. Ranges include:
Cosmedics’ London Beauty Salons offer a range of advanced treatments including laser hair removal. Their Beauty Therapists are fully trained and qualified to use the latest technology and offer an extensive choice of customisable options. We now have a choice of two fabulously equipped and appointed salons:
- 4 Disraeli Road, Putney, London, SW15 2DS
- 41 Harley Street, London, W1G 8QH